OUR GREEN COMMITMENT:
We aim not only to create beautiful surroundings, but to also safeguard our environment. Outdoor Living is committed to promoting and contributing to a clean and safe environment. Since we began in 1998, our concern for the earth has been a major factor in how we conduct business. From the products we offer, to the way we operate day-to-day, we have strived for minimal impact on our planet. Yes, it costs us a bit more, but good business is about more than just dollars and cents.
What could be greener than living outdoors? Fresh air, natural light, the feel of the wind, sounds of nature – Outdoor Living is more than just a resource for furniture, we want to make a statement on how we should all be living in a more organic way, embracing the beauty of nature and its bounty.
We encourage our local craftsmen and artisans to partner with us in offering Hawaiian made products. Where we must import, we do so directly from the source rather than through middlemen typically located on the mainland. The result is less miles traveled from beginning to end, which saves in distance traveled, fuel consumed, carbon produced, and ultimately costs for our clients.
We at Outdoor Living have carefully chosen products that are superior in craftsmanship whilst being distinctive in design. Each piece is a combination of the most recent technological advances in outdoor materials and freshness in design. Passing down the generations of a family, or gifting to others, our furnishings need never see their lives end at a landfill. And in the event that their use is no longer desired many years from now, every bit of our furniture can be recycled or reused.
- TEAK. Considered the best material for outdoor furnishings, teak provides a longevity that will span generations. Virtually impervious to the elements, teak's high oil content enables it to naturally repel moisture and insects while preventing it from drying out, rotting or warping. A natural material, it is inherently biodegradable. Our teak is only sourced from government-sanctioned plantations in those countries with sustainable teak policies.
- WEAVE. Recent advances in outdoor technology has produced a resin fiber material which is highly supple, tear resistant, UV resistant and weather resistant. The polyethylene based, extruded and through-dyed material is also completely weatherproof, insensitive to differences in temperature and extremely hard wearing. This polyethylene material is completely recyclable and can be dropped off at any plastics recycling location.
- FRAMES. Fully welded, powder-coated aluminum frames provide maximum strength combined with light weight. The entire frame is electro-statically powder coated in a tough, solvent-free smooth finish that matches the color of the weave, fully protecting the frame against corrosion and becoming virtually invisible after weaving. The aluminum is easily recycled.
- FINISHES. Water-based coatings are used to finish teak products when desired. Our maintenance products not only perform better than traditional oil-based products, but they are also safe for the environment. Completely free of solvents (voc's) because they are water-based, these products do not irritate the skin or produce noxious fumes and are completely biodegradable.
- TEXTILES. Our textiles collection includes the industry mainstay Sunbrella. It's unique coloring process avoids harmful effluents associated with conventional dyeing processes and dramatically reduces water and energy consumption. Sunbrella fabrics are engineered for a serviceable lifespan two to ten times longer than conventional fabrics. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends the use of UV resistant fabrics in the prevention of sun-induced damage to the skin.